Re: XBL is (mostly) W3C redundant, and CSS is wrong W3C layer for semantic behavior *markup*

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 01:44:34 -0600
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Interesting to ponder how our discussion of semantics impacts CSS
pseudo-elements (and pseudo-classes), e.g. ::visited or ::first-line:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#pseudo-elements

"Neither pseudo-elements nor pseudo-classes appear in the document source
or document tree."

In last few posts, we are discussing definitions related to semantic
content _markup_.

The pseudo-elements also have semantics, but they are not explicitly marked
up.  They are inferred and/or created elements (or states) by the
presentation layer.  So in this case of pseudo-elements, I assert it is
appropriate for the semantic binding to be at the CSS layer, since they do
not exist above presentation layer.

I realize they are already semantically bound at CSS layer.  I just wanted
to test our discussion to see if it generalizes.

-Shelby Moore