Re: word-spacing property

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:06:48 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Ian Hickson wrote to <www-style@w3.org> on 16 November 2002 in "Re:
word-spacing property"
(<mid:Pine.LNX.4.21.0211161216070.12577-100000@dhalsim.dreamhost.com>):

> The spec is already _very_ clear -- CSS cannot affect the DOM (the
> underlying text) in any way.

When I wrote "underlying text, I did not mean the Document Object Model.
Although the DOM, too, is underlying text, I meant the text exposed to
operations such as copy and search.

Depending on the user agent, CSS might affect this intermediary layer of
content.  The 'text-transform' property, for instance, changes characters
to uppercase or lowercase equivalents.  While this transformation may not
touch the DOM, it will likely change what the end user gets as content.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>