Re: inline display of list-item?

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:54:54 -0800
To: Kang Jeong-Hee <Keizi@mail.co.kr>, <www-style@w3.org>
CC: <w3ckr-req@w3c.or.kr>

On 2/21/03 3:02 PM, "Kang Jeong-Hee" <Keizi@mail.co.kr> wrote:

> display property define list-item as an 'inline box inside of block box';
> e.g.
> a. ...
> b. ...
> c. ...
> but we often write this type of list items;
> a. ... and b. ..., c. ...
> and I think CSS spec does not support that.
> what about this?

What about this indeed.

There is one way to mimic this behavior AFAIK (without relying on :before
{content:counters...} hackery), and it only really "works" on relatively
"short" list items (if you have big list items they probably shouldn't all
be in inline anyway).

However, it can be done using *only* CSS1:

li {

Here is an example of such inline-like list items in a document:

Note however that some UAs have problems with floated list items, in that
they don't draw the markers for example.