Re: Length unit relative to media width

From: GS <junkmail.gs@c2i.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:01:34 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:12 Alexander Savenkov wrote:

>> Screen (media) width in pixels is the basis for all visual
>> information display.
>For poorly designed sites?

No, I did mean logically. Length is not a digital size.
To use length you must  know how long a pixel is.
Any use of for instance mm units is undefined until you
know how long  (in pixels) a "mm" is .
What I am trying, is to define a way of setting such a relationship.

>> Why not let the content be able to rescale
>> automatically according to that
>That's possible with current CSS implementations already.

No, it is not. Ask all those webdesigners out there, strugglig with this problem every day. No such possibility today without useing scripting.

>>  Why make things more complicated than necessary?
>Don't know. The 'screen-width' propery wasn't proposed by me.

Not by me either, but I think it is av great idea, and not complicated.

Gaute Sandvik