Re: CSS3: Color

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 05:41:10 -0800 (PST)
To: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, fantasai wrote:

> If you want to deprecate X11 colors later, I guess that's fine, too.
> In that case, you still shouldn't encourage their use.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but the following should be
considered: the point of specifications is interoperability. Many UAs
implement the X11 colour keywords, but currently there are lots of minor
variations in their implementation. (You say "gray", I say "grey".)

UAs are not going to stop supporting these colours. And apart from being
an ugly, poorly designed set of colours, they don't cause any harm.
(Unlike <font>, which will probably continue being supported forever, but
which _does_ cause serious harm.)