Re: CSS3: Color

Chris Lilley wrote:

> Perhaps because www-style is not the only place from which last call
> input could come.

Obviously. However, I don't have access to the other input, so I can't
know how/why decisions were made unless someone tells me. To me, this
has never been resolved. Hence the question.

> Some designers, who know that these names have been reliably and
> interoperably implemented for years, would like to use them and would
> like to not have to strip them out just to get W3C compliance.

Certainly. Deprecated code is still valid. It's just discouraged, in
preparation for possible removal in future versions--like 'align' on
later in the XHTML 2.0 drafts. There were a bunch of interoperable
implementations for that, too.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/conform.html#h-4.1

If you want to deprecate X11 colors later, I guess that's fine, too.
In that case, you still shouldn't encourage their use.

> As to the user preference keywords, there were objections but not
> really a concrete and workable alternative proposal unless I missed it,
> in which case a pointer would be appreciated.

Use the user stylesheet. That is, I believe, what it was created for.
See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002Sep/0061.html
for examples.

Or do you really want to add HoverVisitedHyperlink, HoverActiveHyperlink,
InternalHyperlink, HoverInternalHyperlink, ActiveInternalHyperlink,
VisitedInternalLink, and their corresponding Text colors as implementors
request more control? Don't forget Focus! We ought to have FocusHyperlink
and FocusVisitedHyperlink to go with the mouse-specific Hover colors. And,
of course, FocusActiveHyperlink, FocusActiveVisitedHyperlink, etc.
(I could go on, if you want more examples. :)

Come, don't you want in-page links colored green instead of blue?

~fantasai