class attribute deprecated with <span>?

From: <Sharon_Correll@sil.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:19:16 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

I'm reading the "HTML and XHTML" book by Musiciano and Kennedy, published
by O'Reilly. It says that it is deprecated to use style, class and id
attributes with the <span> tag.  (This is on page 300.) However, I notice
on the CSS web site that there are a number of examples of using <span>
this way.

Is this really deprecated? If so, why, and what is the accepted way to
apply formatting to a short range of text?

Thanks,
Sharon