Re: class attribute deprecated with <span>?

This is the 4th edition of _HTML and XHTML: The Definitive Guide_, by Chuck
Musiciano and Bill Kennedy, page 300 (Chapter 8: Cascading Style Sheets,
section 8.5, last paragraph). It says:

Although deprecated, the <span> tag also supports the standard tag
attributes. The style and class attributes, of course, let you control the
display style; the id and title tag attributes let you uniquely label its
contents; the dir and lang attributes let you specify its native language;
and the many on-event attributes let you react to user-initiated mouse and
keyboard actions on the contents. Not all are implemented by the currently
popular browsers for this tag or for many others.

Okay, maybe that's not saying the use of style and class are deprecated
with <span>, but if not, I don't know what it's saying!

Sharon