Re: [CSS] Rules for parsing and compatibility

From: Stanimir Stamenkov <stanio@myrealbox.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:41:27 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> One issue I distinctly recall is that a definition of what it means to
> "support" a property was pretty slippery... should the block be dropped
> if a single property in it can't be parsed?  Or if it can't be applied?
>  What does "applied" mean?  And so forth.

So, I've thought that's what I'm pushing here - things like these
you recall but like it seems nobody have clarified before. I think
everybody (or at least enough people) agree there's need of means of
invalidating whole declaration blocks. I didn't get your opinion on
that, BTW.

There is already specification how single declaration or rule set
becomes invalid and is ignored (uknown property, ilegal value,
malformed declaration, invalid selector [1]). Now we just need a new
construct (an @-rule most probably, because, like Mikko Rantalainen
have pointed, couple of rule sets could be invalidated in a such
single block) where if such invalid declaration/selector is met the
whole construct to be invalidated.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#parsing-errors
     http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q10

--