RE: [CSS] Rules for parsing and compatibility

From: Svend Tofte <svendtofte@svendtofte.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:02:08 +0100
To: "Stanimir Stamenkov" <stanio@myrealbox.com>, www-style@w3.org

Doesn't all of this, depend on yet again, the browser maker, to implement
properly? And worse yet, take a browser such as NS4, and see just how
inconsistent it's CSS support is, and I honestly can't imagine how it would
work. Does NS itself even know, just how spotty support it has?

Also, this would block a single rule, but how could one account for the
interaction between rules (for there is bound to be some)? Wrapping the
entire stylesheet in a @compat thing?

> Don't know if this has been already discussed and proposed but I
> remember reading about such issues couple of times. The thing is to
> address the different level of UAs support of the CSS spec and the
> new versions of it. So, if we have:

Interesting idea, but in general, I wonder if this is really the job of the
standards, to include methods for checking so fine grained support levels.

Regards,
Svend