[CSS] Rules for parsing and compatibility

From: Stanimir Stamenkov <stanio@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:50:44 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

Don't know if this has been already discussed and proposed but I
remember reading about such issues couple of times. The thing is to
address the different level of UAs support of the CSS spec and the
new versions of it. So, if we have:

E {
   background: white;
   color: black;
}

but a given UA doesn't support changing the background but support
changing the text color (to some extent), one could end with not
readable text. And if we had:

@compat {
   E {
     background: white;
     color: black;
   }
}

a UA could understand this to invalidate whole E declarations block
if it doesn't support or doesn't understand some of the properties.
Current UAs would ignore it too because it is placed in unknow @(AT)
rule block. And the whole stylesheet could look something like this:

E {
   color: default;
}
@compat {
   E {
     background: white;
     color: black;
   }
}

This is a pretty draft proposition but I think you got the point -
to have a whole declaration block invalidated if even one of the
properties specified isn't supported and to have a "lite version"
specified prior it which would take affect in such case.

--
Stanimir