Re: [CSS 2.1] overflow of replaced elements

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:04:21 -0600
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: ernestcline@mindspring.com, www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> We might not be quite there yet, but personally I consider <textarea> to
> be an inline-block, not a replaced element, with overflow on a textarea
> supposed to control whether or not the text entered overflows the element.

Yes, I realize you consider all form controls to not be replaced
elements.  Sorry, that doesn't fly.  If a <textarea> were an
inline-block, it would display the text that lives inside it (in
textnodes).  That's true only up until the point at which the user
starts typing in it -- the question of whether those changes should be
reflected in the page's DOM is a little vague, but last I checked with
DOM WG people they said they should NOT be.  Hence the visual
presentation of a textarea is loosely related to its DOM children at
best, and describing it as a non-replaced element simply fails.

So let's get back to my question....  Given that a textarea is _not_
just an inline-block, should "overflow" on it still have the effect you
describe?  Note that this effect may well be impossible if
platform-native editor widgets are used (instead of rolling your own
like some browsers do).

-Boris