Re: [CSS 2.1] overflow of replaced elements

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 02:06:09 +0000 (UTC)
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: ernestcline@mindspring.com, www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Yes, I realize you consider all form controls to not be replaced
> elements.  Sorry, that doesn't fly.  If a <textarea> were an
> inline-block, it would display the text that lives inside it (in
> textnodes). [...]

What is displayed inside it is independent of what display type it has.

   textarea {
     display: inline-block;
     appearance: field;
     white-space: pre;
     overflow: scroll;
     content: dom(value);
   }

...or something. (I haven't checked those are the right property values
for appearance, white-space, and overflow).

> So let's get back to my question....  Given that a textarea is _not_
> just an inline-block, should "overflow" on it still have the effect you
> describe? Note that this effect may well be impossible if
> platform-native editor widgets are used (instead of rolling your own
> like some browsers do).

The spec intentionally does not define how CSS applies to form controls,
so the official answer is "whatever you like". My answer would be "yes",
with platform-native editors being exempt if they are used.