Re: CSS3 box height %

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:36:39 -0400
To: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
cc: www-style@w3.org

> Unfortunately and after reconsidering this topic I don't see any advantage
> of 'height: auto;' since it IMO complies with any elements default value (if
> it is not, it should be, I suggest).

The point is that you want to be able to reset it to the default value if some
other part of the stylesheet has set it to a fixed height (eg consider a user
who wants to ignore all author-set heights on some site because they are all
mis-set due to the bug in IE/Win's implementation of "height").

> And another question: Wouldn't it be legal to write 'height:
> auto;' everywhere, deking a kind of knowledge and valid source, thus 'diluting'
> the whole document...? And what happens when a UA renders a page overflowing
> with 'auto' values?

I'm not sure what you're asking here...

Boris
--
There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and
Statistics.