RE: CSS3 media queries, clarifications requested

From: Jose Fandos <jose.fandos@sonnd.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:29:04 +0100
To: "'Arve Bersvendsen'" <arve@virtuelvis.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

> For some devices, one cannot assume that pixel-height/pixel-width provides
> the correct aspect ratio.  The archetypal example is a normal CRT monitor
> running in 1280x1024 resolution: If you simply query pixel widths, the
> device aspect ratio comes off as 5/4, whereas the physical aspect ratio
> still is 4/3;
[...]

But that's a choice made by the user, knowingly or not. Most CRT monitors
existing today have an aspect ratio 4/3. Squares drawn on the screen with
resolutions like 1280x1024 are slightly rectangular in any and all programs
(taking MS Windows as a sample here.) A UA shouldn't try to figure this out
and render a square differently. Also, I don't know if to figure out the
ratio is at all possible in current windows machines.

	Jose