Re: :here for Links

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 00:38:36 -0800
To: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>, www-style@w3.org

Ernest Cline wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 31 March 2003 in "Re:
:here for Links" (<mid:3E889802.14736.554777@localhost>):

> I have not seen a reason presented why a user would care about
> [differentiating] between links in the current page and those that are not.

If I have to wait twenty seconds or more while my user agent renders a page
from cache, you can be sure that I care. This wait is to be expected with
large documents. In my experience, link traversal within the currently
rendered document rarely takes more than three seconds and typically takes
one second or less.

I'm not a great fan of the :here pseudo-class, but there's a reason for it.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>.
“Sugar babe, I’ll respect your decision,