Re: :here for Links

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 06:39:17 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> If the author uses the practice of using just "#" as a placeholder for links

As far as I am concerned, these are simply broken links to the current
document, and deserve to be styled as such.

> manipulated by a scripting language then a[href^="#"]:not([href="#"]) would

In my experience, these links are never manipulated; instead the semantics
of the a element are implemented by non-HTML mechanisms (assiging to the
location object for the window, or more likely a new window created using
browser object model operations).  In almost all cases, they should be
real links to a fallback resource (in many cases, the same as the resouce
that is injected into the popped up window).

(They may originally have been introduced to allow for obsolete browsers
that didn't abort the native semantics on getting a false return from an
onclick event handler, but, for me, simply create dead links.)