Re: CSS2.1: \A and white-space

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:27:11 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

On 9/5/02 6:02 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai@escape.com> wrote:

> Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>
>> br { line-break-after:always }
>
> br:after {content: "\A"; white-space: pre} ?

Right, this is exactly the nonsense hack that I am saying there is no need
for.  There was no need to introduce "\A" as a "formatting instruction", and
it also goes against lots of principles which have been discussed in many
fora (including Unicode, which has specifically gotten rid of (deprecated?)
such formatting characters, in deference to proper/explicit markup and
styling).

>> It should do neither.  It should insert "&lt;em&gt;" into the input.
>
> It should insert "<em>", not "&lt;em&gt;", because generated content,
> wherever it enters layout, does not get processed by the HTML/XML/SGML
> parser.

You're right.  It should insert "<em>" into the input to the CSS processor,
which is the output from the HTML/XML/SGML parser.

Thanks,

Tantek