Re: Comments on CSS 2.1 last call

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:05:11 +0000 (GMT)
To: Peter Sheerin <pete@petesguide.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Peter Sheerin wrote:

> I'm thoroughly confused now--your statements make imminent sense (and
> I was beginning to wonder the same thing), yet my code was merely
> following the examples set forth in the CSS2 spec, such as this one in
> section 12.6, which also use :before [...]
>
> So which is correct?

Mozilla doesn't support CSS2 markers. When you set :before in Mozilla, it
doesn't affect the markers.

> having to use:before seems like a kludge, yet that's what the CSS2
> shows, and it doesn't demonstrate any other method.

The working group agrees, and we'll be changing the model in CSS3. We have
taken out display:marker from CSS 2.1 in preparation for this. See

   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/
   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html