Re: Comments on CSS 2.1 last call

From: Peter Sheerin <pete@petesguide.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:44:11 -0700
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

> That page isn't showing Mozilla supporting markers. It's showing
> Mozilla supporting generated content, which is very different.

> That's because it totally ignores 'display:marker', and the second
> case doesn't have normal list bullets (the paragraphs are
> display:block not display:list-item).

I'm thoroughly confused now--your statements make imminent sense (and I was
beginning to wonder the same thing), yet my code was merely following the
examples set forth in the CSS2 spec, such as this one in section 12.6, which
also use :before :

   LI:before {
	      display: marker;
	      content: counter(mycounter, lower-roman) ".";
	      counter-increment: mycounter;
	  }

So which is correct? Your statement makes more sense, and having to
use:before seems like a kludge, yet that's what the CSS2 shows, and it
doesn't demonstrate any other method.