Re: transparent backgrounds

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:54:56 +0000 (GMT)
To: George Lund <george@lundbooks.co.uk>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, George Lund wrote:

> Transparent backgrounds are a problem in authoring CSS, [...]
>
> CSS 3 doesn't seem to have addressed the issue - but please point me in
> the right direction if I haven't spotted it.
>
> What are the working group's thoughts on this?  Thanks

Transparent backgrounds are but the tip of the iceberg -- imagine what
would happen if a user stylesheet and an author stylesheet clashed about
what elements should be what table display types, for instance.

This is a long standing recognised problem known as property codependency.

The working group has not yet seen or thought of a proposal to solve this
problem. Suggestions are welcome, but have most likely already been
considered and rejected. :-)

See:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1998Oct/0020.html
   http://www.hixie.ch/specs/css/wwwstyle/#clash