transparent backgrounds

From: George Lund <george@lundbooks.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:20:55 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Transparent backgrounds are a problem in authoring CSS, because the
user/author stylesheet cascade can cause text on transparent backgrounds
to be become unreadable.  The reasons for always specifying a background
colour whenever a foreground colour is specified give rise to identical
concerns as the use of transparent (see the warnings generated by CSS
validators).

However, it is clear that in many cases it would be highly useful to be
able get the effect that transparent has in order that, for example, a
background image can show through - but without the risk of destroying
compatibility with possible user style sheets as at present.

CSS 3 doesn't seem to have addressed the issue - but please point me in
the right direction if I haven't spotted it.

What are the working group's thoughts on this?  Thanks
--
George Lund