Re: A possible presentational hints proposal for CSS 2.1

Ian Hickson wrote:

  > So there are real-world DocBook UAs that implement CSS and would be
  > affected by this change?

None that I know of.

DocBook has *very* few elements that could be considered
presentational. Somewhere less than five, afaict. Other
vocabularies, however, might not be so lucky.

Anyway. It is not only existing implementations that would
have a problem, but future ones as well.

The possibility I'm thinking of is like this:

http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/literallayout.html

user.css  -

* {
     white-space: nowrap;
}

document -

<article>
     <title>Writing Letters</title>
     [content]
     <literallayout>
                                 August 24, 2005

     Dear Mr. Vilgerdarson:
       Thank you for taking the time to visit...
     [more text] We hope to enjoy another one of your
     fantastic presentations next year.

                                 Sincerely,
                                 Raven Auror

     </literallayout>
     [more content]
</article>

As with the example I gave before, a non-!important rule in the
user stylesheet is rendering the author's presentational code
useless.

By the way, you didn't answer my question at the end of that post. [1]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002Oct/0032.html

~fantasai