Line affixes

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 06:01:11 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Stuart Ballard wrote:

> One thing missing that I've wanted for some time is the capability to do
> something like what email does with quoting - ie add a single thing to
> the start of each line. My suggestion for this in the past was an
> :every-line pseudo-class

Yet what you describe is a pseudo-element, not a pseudo-class.

> blockquote.cite:every-line:before { content: '> ' }

That is two pseudo-elements attached to one simple selector (or sequence of simple
selectors, in the forthcoming terminology).  It is invalid as things stand.  We could make
an exception, I suppose, for 'every-line' pseudo-elements.

> Thoughts?

I would like to see more use cases.  I have no desire for the generated line affix feature,
so I am apathetic toward your proposal.  If the implementation support exists, that is
great and I say, go ahead.  If the implementation support is absent or sketchy, that is
bad and I say, pull the feature.

Well, I suppose that we have the Candidate Recommendation stage to answer such
questions.

--
Etan Wexler <mailto:ewexler@stickdog.com>