Re: small selector syntax addition

From: (wrong string) šper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 12:00:38 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>
James Craig <james@cookiecrook.com>:

> (p.nav) a:hover {
>   background-color:#fff;
>   }
>
> Does anyone have objections to the use of parenthesis and if so, what is a
> better suggestion? I personally think the syntax is very logical.

What about backwards compatibility and multiple appeareances of parentheses?

I haven't checked this yet, but it's not unlikely that some CSS1 or CSS2 UAs
may just ignore the brackets and thus apply the background-color to the link
instead in your above example. They should, of course, ignore the rule
completely.
If there are two or more selectors parenthesised should the rule apply to
all of those, none, only the first or only the last one? I suppose, to all.
Otherwise I support this idea. Although "sel1 < sel2" and "sel1 - sel2"
would seem logical as we already have "sel1 > sel2" and "sel1 + sel2", this
proposal is much more powerful IMHO.

Christoph