Re: CSS3 - Define Language

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:32:55 +0100
To: "Tyler Rasmussen" <rasmo2000@hotmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On Saturday, 09 March, 2002, 18:40:11, Tyler wrote:

TR> I am currently working on a webpage using HTML and CSS for a forgiegn
TR> language class at my school.  I find it very annoying to have to type:

TR> <DIV class="es" lang="es"></DIV>
TR> <DIV class="en" lang="en"></DIV>

TR> Over and over again.

So don't.

First, no good reason to repeat the language information in the class.
You can select on the language, as well as on the class.

Second, no need to explicitly set the language unless it is different
from that of its parent. So, if the whole page is in one language,
just set the language on the root element.

TR>   I think it would work wonders for pages like this if
TR> you could define the language of text inside a certain tag by the CSS
TR> document.

If what you are looking for is brevity, then move tour language
attributes as high up in the tree as they will go.

TR>  I mean, really, language is part of the style of the document.

No, its very clearly part of the content. Although styling can and
should reflect the language used in the content.