RE: Vertical analogue to table-header-group

From: Dorothea Salo <dsalo@overdrive.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:43:35 -0600
To: "Www-Style" <www-style@w3.org>
> I think this is a good idea. I would suggest doing it by adding display:
> table-column-header-group and table-column-footer-group with the
> equivalent
> semantics that the row versions have (namely, changing the order of the
> rendering of the respective columns so that they are at the
> start/end of the
> table respectively).

	Sounds eminently reasonable.

> In practice, though, it won't do what you are asking for.

	Well, CSS might not *demand* that it do what I'm asking for (nor am I suggesting it should), but I doubt CSS would *prevent* it. As you say, the basic listed function of display: table-header-group is placing the group in the flow of the table. Still, there's nothing (as far as I can tell, anyway) to stop a UA from implementing the behavior I outlined in my earlier post if it found that behavior useful -- the CSS is enough to base such an implementation on, and the CSS spec doesn't forbid it.

> Repeating on a
> continuous medium would be done using overflow:scroll on the body
> group that
> they sandwich, and means that what you are asking for can already
> be done in
> CSS2.

	Aha! A tactic we had not noticed. Thank you. I will pass this information to the PSWG.

Dorothea