Re: Vertical analogue to table-header-group

Dorothea Salo wrote:

> The CSS constructs "display: table-header-group" and "display: table-footer-group" ...
>
> Has the CSS WG considered an analogue to this property for table *columns*?

I think this is a good idea. I would suggest doing it by adding display:
table-column-header-group and table-column-footer-group with the equivalent
semantics that the row versions have (namely, changing the order of the
rendering of the respective columns so that they are at the start/end of the
table respectively).

In practice, though, it won't do what you are asking for. CSS doesn't actually
use the header and footer groups to control where the header and footer rows
repeat, only the order in which they appear in the flow. Repeating on a
continuous medium would be done using overflow:scroll on the body group that
they sandwich, and means that what you are asking for can already be done in
CSS2. Repeating of table rows (columns) on a paged medium is currently under-
defined in CSS2.

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to