Re: How to detect if CSS is disabled?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:09:42 -0400
To: Stuart Ballard <sballard@netreach.com>
Cc: Rick Hill <rrhill@ucdavis.edu>, www-style@w3.org

> I assumed he meant whether the equivalent of NS4's "Disable CSS" had
> been selected by the user - ie, that *author* sheets aren't being applied.

Yeah.. I meant "author" and spelled "user-agent"

> In which case there isn't a *good* way to do it but you can detect it by
> virtue of the fact that CSS stylesheets can have side effects. For example:

You forgot user stylesheets with !important rules?

> If "myimage.gif" gets requested from your server with a particular
> session id, then the user with that session has CSS enabled. Otherwise
> he doesn't (or perhaps is using a non-graphical browser that supports
> CSS but not images? Are there any such?)

Or is using a graphical browser with image loading disabled....

Boris
Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli,
"I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or
of some vile disease".  Disraeli replied, "That all
depends upon whether I embrace your principles or your
mistress".