Re: Hanging indent

> From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:51:00 +0200

> The example would go something like this:
>
>     HANGING INDENTATION
>
>     To "outdent" the first line, add the desired indentation to the
>     'padding-left' property and then use the 'text-indent' property
> to negate the indentation for the first line:
>
>         p {padding-left: 1em; text-indent: -1em}

I appreciate this clarification, Bert, as I use text-indent frequently,
both with negative and positive values.  It never occurred to me to use
it with padding, however; I've always written:

  p {margin-left: 1em; text-indent: -1em;}

Is there a reason you specify padding rather than margin, or are both
just as effective?  If one is preferable I'd recommend explaining that
in the specs, and if both are OK I'd recommend noting that also.

Neither seems to work with Opera at present, alas.

Many thanks.

Bob O'Hara

Robert J. O'Hara (rjohara@post.harvard.edu - http://rjohara.net)
Residential Colleges and University Reform: http://collegiateway.org

(Was subscribed, but keep getting bounced out for some reason.)