Re: conformance (was layout solutions blah blah blah)

"Hoyt, Phil" <phil.hoyt@bgminteractive.com> wrote on 1/28/02 10:23:13 AM:

>In defence of the Browser makers: Jesse, reporting bugs admirable and
>useful, but I think you would do well to keep your broad judgements on the
>quality of software and software companies off this list. It is
>counterproductive in that it doesn't point out any fact that was not already
>known and only serves to offend and anger people without whom you might not
>have a browser at all. Microsoft deserves credit for providing a browser
>that (still) provides among the best css support out there.

As long as this list is used to advertise browsers (especially falsely), I
feel free to air my grievances.  I disagree that it is counterproductive.  I
think dishonesty, sloppiness, and void of corporate accountability are
counterproductive.  I agree that Microsoft deserves credit for what it has
done well, but with the hype it gives this product I am shocked to find this
bug (see my previous post -- the most basic of the basic...) and who knows
what else (I've never actually used the browser).  Anyone can say they're
going to create a browser that supports such and such, and it may be a great
idea, but it is elementary that you have to acutally do it first if you're
going to say you've done it.

Who should be offended and angered?  I have had to invest a great deal of
time and effort to learn these technologies, learn the syntaxes, etc., so why
should I look like a fool when someone comes to my site -- created with valid
XHTML and CSS -- and it looks like **** because the browser that Microsoft
claims "[Provides] 100 percent support for all the major Web standards --
HTML 4, CSS 1..." didn't load the stylesheet?  I insist that I should not.
Therefore, I am not going to sit by and be a yes man for Microsoft, covering
up its incompetence or malice or whatever it is by agreeing with its false
statements overtly in speech or tacitly in silence.

Among the best CSS support out there?  I gues it depends how you look at it.
As far as I'm concerned, if the browser doesn't even process the stylesheet
it has no CSS support.