RE: CSS multicolumn layout solutions (was: RE: CSS not enough (was: Re: proposal for HTML4.01 amendment: <BR PAGEBREAK="before">))

From: Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:43:14 +0100
To: "Robert Koberg" <rob@koberg.com>, <www-html@w3.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
Hello Robert,

Oh, and how it does! :(
Really. That's annoyingly ugly (though still better than some other
solutions).

You know we are talking about a yet unsolved quest: multicolumn layout on
web pages.
So even the best currently available solution is just an interims solution
:(

The final newspaper-style solution already is on the way:
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/

Though as far as I see the CSS3 Multicol module really covers only
newspaper-style.
But that's what's currently missing, and everything else is already solved
(though it needs improvement).

I am really looking forward to see the CSS Level 3 Recommendation :)
(I am not so much looking forward to see the first CSS Level 3
implementations, I believe there again will be much trouble as with CSS 2 :(

Greetings

Christian