CSS3 Text: Text Decoration

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:59:05 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

umm... underline, overline, and line-through don't
seem to be defined anywhere. That might be a problem.
Certainly their positions--other than for underline--
are not specified anywhere.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a good way to underline
chemical formulas. (An underline would cut through the

  | If they are specified for (or affects) an inline-level
  | element, it affects all boxes generated by the element.
  | If an element is empty or is a replaced element (e.g.,
  | the IMG element in XHTML), user agents must ignore
  | these properties. Text content also excludes white
  | space characters that are collapsed during the white
  | space processing.

Since text-decoration seems not to affect those descendant
boxes that are empty or replaced, it must be possible to
ignore it based on other computed data. *Please* assign
some syntax for ignoring ancestors' text decoration in CSS3.
It's been requested before, and it would be very useful,
particularly for underlining H<sub>2</sub>O and other
math/science formulae.
   sub {
     text-decoration: ~underline;
or somesuch.

If empty and replaced descendant boxes really /don't/
break the text-decoration line, then that needs to be
made clear. (But I still think there should be a way
to get rid of ancestors' text decoration.)

On a grammar note:
   (affects) should be (affect)

   In "If they are specified for a block-level element, it
   affects", the pronouns don't match.

   "Text content also excludes white space..."
   The 'also' comes out of nowhere; "text content" is not
   previously mentioned in this section. I recommend
   removing the word.
   Might consider putting that sentence in parentheses.

   The link to CSS2's "ignore" goes to a section on parsing,
   which really isn't appropriate for such computations.

   "All these text decoration properties..."
   Take out either "All" or "All these".

   Is averaging done per line, per element, or per block?

   Although averaging underline positions is "based on the
   children text size and baselines", vertical-align doesn't
   seem to affect it. That should be explicit. Also, does
   the size or baseline (before vertical-alignment) of the
   superscript affect averaging? (Is that what the note is
   trying to address?)

   BTW, that should be "children's text size and baselines".

Underline Position

   Value definitions should probably reference CSS3 Line.

   It would be very helpful if (below) and (above) were given
   in parentheses after the "after"s and "before"s. I keep
   thinking |before and after| rather than ^before and _after--
   even when I imagine vertical text--so it gets quite confusing.

   Whose EM box is all this referring to?
   If I have an overline on a sentence, and one word in the
   sentence has a font twice as big as the rest of the sentence,
   will the line go through the glyph or above it?

   If I have underlined text, both ideographic and alphabetic,
   which baseline gets used for after-baseline?

   I suggest renaming "after-baseline" to "baseline", for

   | In vertical inline progression, if the language is set to
   | Japanese, the underline if set will appear before the text
   | edge (EM box edge).

   ... I was just wondering if this is specific to the Japanese
   language rather than East Asian ideographic in general. :)

Long thread on text-decoration, if you're interested: (1st post)