tables in css2.1

From: Bernd Mielke <bernd_mozilla@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:46:33 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

The discussion process for CSS2.1 should reconsider the well known
questions that have been raised against CSS2.0
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Jul/0077.html).

> * Section 17.4.1 says that percentage widths for top or bottom captions
> are computed relative to the table box's containing block.  What about
> percentage heights?  And side captions?

The percent heights are still not described.

> * Also in section 17.4.1, do auto side margins on side captions become
> zero?  Or is there some way to center both table and caption?

This is still not answered and raises questions
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002Dec/0133.html)

> * Should section 17.5.3 say that length and percentage values of
> vertical-align should also be equivalent to baseline, since they
> do not apply to cells?

I think it should but at CSS2.1 but it is not mentioned.

> * The border collision rules (17.6.2) are ambiguous when borders differ
> only in color and the conflicting borders are on adjacent cells, or
> adjacent rows, etc.  I think a rule such as:
>
>   5. the border on the element earlier in the document tree wins
>
> would be good.  (I chose earlier because of table-header-groups and
> table-footer-groups.)

I think this is a good proposal.

It would be good if David's comments could finally find a way into the spec.

Bernd