CSS3 white-space property/value names

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:22:00 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

I formally propose the following changes:

linefeed-treatment: [1]
    treat-as-space             ->  space
    treat-as-zero-width-space  ->  zero-width
    ignore-if-after-linefeed   ->  no-double

white-space-treatment:    ->    white-space-discard:
    ignore                          ->  all
    preserve                        ->  none
    ignore-if-before-linefeed       ->  before-linefeed
    ignore-if-after-linefeed        ->  after-linefeed
    ignore-if-surrounding-linefeed  ->  around-linefeed

all-space-treatment: -> white-space-collapse:

So, the resulting properties are

   linefeed-treatment: auto | ignore | preserve | space | zero-width | no-double

   white-space-discard: all | none | before-linefeed | after-linefeed |
                        around-linefeed

   white-space-collapse: preserve | collapse

The names are shorter and more specific. In particular, the
changes to white-space-treatment make the property's name
more accurate and express its purpose more clearly.

On another note, I also suggest dropping the 'no-double'
option for linefeed-treatment. It sounds nice on paper,
but I can't think of any practical reason to have it.
Also, unlike the other values, it has a collapsing
function, so it doesn't really fit in anyway. :)

[1] Päper, Christoph. "Comments on CSS3: Text LC", www-style@w3.org
        (2002-02-25).
        message-id: <005701c27c43$e6a74490$3ef4ae8b@heim4.tuclausthal.de>
        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002Oct/0092.html