Re: Suggestion to add "spacing between sentences" to CSS3 Line WD

From: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:44:07 -0600
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

>My apologies for this cultural clash.

Thanks.  Mine apologies also.  Maybe I was up too late last night.

>> Any way, I predicted this would not be solved any time soon.  I feel I
>> have a stronger argument now when advising people to use double spaces
>> on the web, at least until lower common denominator (resolution,
>> handicaps, etc) disappear...  maybe in heaven :-)
>
>Please be aware that typography experts are arguing the opposite. :-)

And I am open about this.

Note I linked from my web page (http://coolpagehelp.com/developer4.html) to
some of those other opinions and I think from those links you can
eventually reach the quote you posted in this thread.

I just think the typography and useability experts are to some extent
contradicting themselves (as I point out in a revised version of my page to
go live later today).

Typography comes from a background of at least 600 dpi resolution, and more
realistically double that (Linotype) or metal or the new variable size dot
lasers.  I know something about this because I was one the first people in
the flegling PC publishing revolution back in mid-80s (see
http://coolpagehelp.com/developer.html).  BTW, my full signature:

Kind Regards,
Shelby Moore III

CEO 3Dize, Inc. (coolpage.com)
CEO DownloadFAST.com, Inc.
sole programmer of Cool Page* (1998-), Art-O-Matic* (1996-8), WordUp*
(1986-90), TurboJet (1988)
contributing programmer to DownloadFAST.com* (2001-2), Corel Painter*
(1993-5), Corel ArtDabbler, EOS PhotoModeler (1996), FONTZ! (1988)

shelby@coolpage.com

* denotes major involvement in massive multi-year R&D projects with
millions of characters (1000s of pages) of code