Re: Suggestion to add "spacing between sentences" to CSS3 Line WD

At 23:00 +0000 12/16/02, Ian Hickson wrote:

>Ok well you write the algorithm that you propose we include in the CSS
>spec, preferably compatible with the majority of CSS' users' languages
>(note that English is by far not the world's most widely spoken language),
>and then we'll talk. :-)

    Although it might be argued that the majority of CSS "users" speak
or read English, I would agree it doesn't solve the problem to only
address English in this situation.  Given that browsers can't even
properly identify what any English speaker could recognize as a word,
I'm pessimistic about teaching them to figure out what a sentence is.
    However, I think there's a semi-solution elsewhere in the module,
in <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#white-space-props>:

    white-space-treatment: preserve;

If there are double-spaces after sentences (my preference, actually)
in the document source, then the above declaration would preserve
them, would it not?  That way, the author's intent in terms of
whitespace between sentences would be honored.

--
Eric A. Meyer  (eric@meyerweb.com)  http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/
Author, "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide,"