Re: Suggestion to add "spacing between sentences" to CSS3 Line WD

At 09:12 PM 12/16/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Shelby Moore wrote:
>>
>> Suggest the CSS3 deal with the controversy over whether to use a double or
>> single space between sentences [...]
>
>Define "sentence".

Clever :)  Is this a hazing test?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sentence

"A grammatical unit that is syntactically independent and has a subject
that is expressed or, as in imperative sentences, understood and a
predicate that contains at least one finite verb."

Obviously your point must be that "sentence" will be different in different
languages, but so are many other things in CSS.  Or your greater point is
that there is no explicit sentence markup.

In English language a sentence ends with a period or question mark followed
by space(s), or end of paragraph.  And the period or question mark may not
have any space before it.  I think that makes it sufficiently implicity
unique for quick parsing.  For any rare abberrations intended by
user/designer, user/designer could set the CSS spacing style for that
portion to "normal space".

Did I pass? :)

-Shelby Moore