Re: CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 20:21:54 +0000 (GMT)
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Then I wondered yet again how :before and :after can possibly make any
> sense when applied to a replaced element, given that the CSS2 spec
> makes it pretty clear that the boxes generated by these
> pseudo-elements are children of the box generated by the element they
> are applied to.  Which is quite impossible for replaced elements, no?

It is indeed quite impossible. I intend to add text to the CSS3 Generated
Content module (when I write it next month), which defines :before and
:after on replaced elements as coming before and after the elements
themselves, rather than their contents. On replaced elements that are
floats, absolutely positioned elements and a particular subset of table
display types, they won't exist at all.

This is, I believe, what authors expect.

I can't remember whether the WG decided to change CSS 2.1 to match this. I
do recall that a bunch of conditions (e.g. :before on a table-row) are
going to be left explicitly undefined for now, though.

Hope this helps,