Re: CSS2.1: \A and white-space

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:45:23 +0000 (GMT)
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Bert Bos wrote:

> No, the 'white-space' property has no effect on '\A', since the '\A'
> is not inserted into the *input* of the CSS renderer, but into the
> *output*

There are members of the CSS working group (i.e. me) who would rather the
white-space handling all happened after the generated content handling.

It makes more sense, if you think about it in CSS3 terms. 'white-space' is
a shorthand property that sets several propertes, including some for
newline handling and some for word wrapping. Why would half of those (word
wrapping, hyphenation) happen _after_ generated content, and the other
half (newline handling, white space collapsing) happen _before_?