Re: Contradiction in the CSS 2.1 WD?

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Scott Montgomery wrote:

> 3.  Sort by specificity of selector: more specific selectors will override
> more general ones. Pseudo-elements and pseudo-classes are counted as normal
> elements and classes, respectively.
> [...]
> a.. ignore pseudo-elements.

Yeah, that was a known CSS2 error which we missed while editing CSS 2.1.

> Which is it?  Ignore them or count them?

Count them.

Not that it makes any difference whatsoever.

The next draft should have this fixed, unless it is one of those errata
items that has a life of its own, like the "classes can't start with
numbers unless escaped" errata, which was "fixed" at least a dozen times
before staying fixed...

Cheers,