Re: Float overflowing behavior!

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:02:47 -0400
To: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> |  Nothing, until someone can't load your CSS. Then your document becomes
> |  nearly devoid of meaning, structure, and comprehensibility.
>
> I doubt you should target *any* page which you design nowdays to browsers not
> supporting CSS.

I didn't say you should be targeting suvh browsers.  I merely said that
if you have a document made of <div>s and <span>s and a linked
stylesheet to style it, then the document is meaningless if the linked
stylesheet cannot be retrieved for any reason (eg the file gets renamed
or deleted or whatever).

> |  > Using 'width:auto' when you need div taking all width, is stupid, STUPID
> |  > approach!
> |
> |  Would you care to clarify this point of view?  Why is this stupid?
>
> If someone familiar with ,mathematics (or in particular, with geometry) - he
> thinks of something as XX percent of another thing (xx/100 fraction) or A/B
> fraction.
> And you can understand width: 100% *without* redaing W3C CSS specs.

So you're having a problem with the definition of "width" as the content
width then, I take it?  That seems to be a common point of view...

Boris
--
Windows 95:
   (noun): 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for