CSS2.1 Various Inline-related Stuff

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:19:34 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

:before and :after

I think we need an 'auto' value for the content property.

    <a>Random Content</a>
    <c>More Content</a>

a, b, c {
  display: inline;

a:before {
  content: "gc";
  border: 1px solid red;

b {
  border: 1px solid blue;

c:before {
  content: "";
  border: 1px solid green;

  How many colored boxes?

If you answered three, read part II of

If you didn't answer three, why not?

Inheritance, Computed Values, & Keywords

Just bringing this up again, since no one gave me an answer:

 | Given "vertical-align: inherit", and a parent with a keyword,
 | what inherits? The computed distance from the baseline or the
 | keyword?
 | Likewise for 'background-position'.

from http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Nov/0005.html

There's been a lot of confusion, and hence a lot of discussion, about
text-decoration in CSS2. [1] The CSS3 Text draft clarifies a lot of
these issues. I think it would be a good idea for CSS2.1 to adopt
some of the CSS3WD explanations in CSS2.1.

Like, what is meant by "affects all inline-level descendants",
and whether thickness is constant as well as color,
and whether a user agent may interrupt the line for subscripts,
and whether the line jumps to underline superscripts at their
own baseline.

BIG and SUP are both descendents--do they both get underlined?

[1] See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2000Mar/0105.html
    for links to relevant posts.

Letter and Word Spacing

How does letter spacing affect the space between words?

If I wrote
  <pre>two  spaces</pre>
how would word-spacing and letter-spacing affect the gap between
'two' and 'spaces'?