Re: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:16:14 +0200
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Elliotte Rusty Harold:

 > HTML is extremely limited. It
 > can tell you that you're looking at paragraphs, headings, tables, a
 > few other things. That's it. XML can do all that and far more.

It's the other way around. HTML can do everything XML can do and more...

 > All HTML tells you is that something is a paragraph, a level 1
 > heading, a table, monospaced, preformatted, and a few other things.
 > <SINGER>Madonna</SINGER> is more semantic than <SPAN>Madonna</SPAN>.

You can combine the two:

which preserves your semantic, while still using HTML and staying
compatible with hundreds of millions of browsers. Using the CLASS
attribute you can tranform any XML markup into HTML without losing
information.

I'm not advocating dropping XML and using only HTML. There are
certainly use cases for XML. But in the domain of documents, I think
developments should build on HTML and use the CLASS attribute for more
specific semantics of your own liking.

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª