Re: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:12:30 EDT
To: www-tag@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
In a message dated 16/08/2002 14:21:57 GMT Daylight Time, howcome@opera.com

> > I do not think XSL-FO is any more or less semantic than HTML.
> Really?
> How do you express that some text is a headline in XSL-FO?

What is the "meaning" of a headline (sic)?

Is there, for example, a worthwhile semantic difference between the

<h1>"Formatting Objects Considered Harmful"</h1>

<li>Often repeated</li>
<li>Poorly argued</li>

<svg:text>"Formatting Objects Considered Harmful"</svg:text>
<svg:tspan>Often repeated</svg:tspan>
<svg:tspan>Poorly argued</svg:tspan>

To a human reader the meaning is pretty clear but to pretend that the HTML
variants shown (and there are many others) contain some sort of immutable
semantics is, I suggest, illusory.

Are you seriously suggesting that SVG too is "harmful" and should be
abandoned because it lacks the historical domain-specific idiosyncracies of

Andrew Watt