RE: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

From: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:28:07 -0400 (EDT)
To: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>, <www-tag@w3.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
Hi Andrew,

Andrew said:

. examples..

To a human reader the meaning is pretty clear but to pretend that the
HTML variants shown (and there are many others) contain some sort of
immutable semantics is, I suggest, illusory.

Are you seriously suggesting that SVG too is "harmful" and should be
abandoned because it lacks the historical domain-specific idiosyncracies
of HTML?

Didier replies:
HTML specifications do not contain any reference to an underlying
rendering model. However:
a)     SVG does
b)     VoiceXML does
c)     XSL_FO does

And most rendering domain language do. This is the main difference. In
the one hand, the rendering model is specified, in the other hand it is
not. Because of that, we cannot classify HTML as a rendering language
maybe as a document publishing domain language but surely not as a
rendering language. I guess our perception is obscured by the fact that
since Mosaic an implicit visual rendition model as been proposed by the
Illinois gang (for the old guard, go back to Linx :-) ).

Cheers
Didier PH Martin