Re: CSS 2.1 WD and non-CSS presentational hints

From: Mark Gallagher <mark@cyberfuddle.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:05:07 +1000
To: www-style@w3.org

Coises wrote:

<snip />

Just thought I'd jump in here and make a point (funny, that).  I won't
argue with the rest of your post, but:

 > 3. At least one very common browser (Internet Explorer, 5 and 6 for
 > Windows) implements the current (CSS 2) specification properly.

Umm, no, no, it doesn't.  IE5.01 and 5.5 don't even get the *box model*
correct!

IE6 gets most things right, although there's a few hacks (I'm sure you
can all find 'em yourself) for hiding stuff from even IE6, and work only
because of bugs within it.  The only major problem I've seen (that I
*know* is an IE problem, and not my CSS[0]) is that IE6 neither knows
nor wants to know what "position: fixed;" means.

<snip size="huge" />

[0] Although CSS that works in Opera 5+ and Mozilla 0.9.4+ but not
     IE/Win, is unlikely to be wrong, I can't be certain.

--
Mark Gallagher
Desperately attempting - and failing - to stay on topic since 1999