Re: pseudoElt argument to getComputedStyle()

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 18:11:59 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: www-dom@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, caillon@returnzero.com
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> The second argument to getComputedStyle() is defined as:
>
> pseudoElt of type DOMString
>    The pseudo-element or null if none.
>
> This seems to me to be very much under-specified.
>
> For example, is "first-letter" an acceptable value of "pseudoElt"?  What
> about ":first-letter"?  What about "::first-letter"?  [...]

This was briefly (and unofficially) discussed at the last CSSWG meeting and the
general feeling of those who discussed it was that the colons should me there.
So ':before', '::before' and '::selection' would all be valid and would make
sense, while 'before', 'selection' and ':selection' would be invalid.

This isn't an official answer though. As much work is planned on the CSSOM spec,
we will hopefully clarify this at some point in the future.

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to