Re: position: fixed [Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?]

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:19:34 -0400
To: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org
> Neither Opera nor Mozilla could:
> a) center text horizontally
> b) center DIV block vertically
> c) paint background for DIV block in light-gray - rgb (211,211,211)
> d) paint border-top and border-bottom

What's with the 0xA0 (not to be confused with 0x0A) characters scattered
throughout that stylesheet?  Are they supposed to be whitespace?  I am
not very well versed in character encodings, so that may well be the
case...

They seem to be causing the rule to be ignored.  Removing them from the
sheet leads to rendering in Mozilla that is identical to your
screenshot.

Boris
617-864-9910
Bradley's Bromide:
    If computers get too powerful, we can organize them
into a committee -- that will do them in.