Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:36:14 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi> wrote on 10/24/01 5:24:00 PM:
>>Of course, it doesn't work. The text-align seems to work, but the
>>vertical-align is still top aligned.
>Yep. Most browsers get it wrong. Maybe even all of them. Don't you just
>hate incomplete implementations.

Yeah I do, but maybe not as much as I dislike people who don't know much, but
talk a lot.  You are seemingly unaware that vertical-align _should_ have no
effect in this situation.

>How are CSS tables not legitimate? AFAIK, the legitimacy issue (at least
>as far as WAI goes) is about using HTML tables, and not about marking
>something as a table-cell in CSS.

Well, if you want to bring WAI into it, out of the clear blue sky, maybe you
should at least read their material first:

  Tables should be used to mark up truly tabular information ("data tables").
  Content developers should avoid using them to lay out   pages ("layout

"CSS tables" are no more legitimate than HTML tables becase those properties,
such as table-cell, exist to allow authors to define table elements in _non-
HTML_ languages, e.g. XML applications.